Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Handmade Cardboard Barn Stars for Primitive Decor





I'm just getting started on redecorating our home. Last year we moved from California to Kentucky and in that move left almost all of our decor items behind. I was bummed at first but now I see I pretty much have a blank slate to work with.  I have fallen in love with the Primitive style of decorating but it can be so expensive.....In comes thrifty me.  I found that I can easily make them with some thin cardboard, (like some different food packaging) or cardstock for inside decorating. I have so many idea's of what i can do with them. I'm going to show you how easy it is to do........

Step One: Find a five point star pattern in the size you like. (In my case I had an old scrapbook stencil)




Step Two: Trace and cut out stars.


 Step Three: Score stars from point to point. Use a ruler if you have trouble with straight lines. I didn't have one of those neat tools to help with this step so i used an old plastic cuticle tool. (It worked great)

Step Four: Fold on your score lines.



Step Five: Add paint. This is where you can get creative. I like to add some black paint first on the raised folds and sometimes at the tips or edges. Then I paint and allow the black to show though wherever it does. After the paint drys you may want to pinch your folds again to make your star pop out again.














Now If you'd like to hang you'll need to use some hot glue or tape to add a loop to the back of the stars to hang. I'm planning a few different things with my small stars. I'm going to be making some garland and wreaths for the fourth of July, Halloween, and Christmas. Keep a look out closer to those holidays I'll post about those garlands.

It's time for you to get busy. Have fun and add your personal touches to your new "Barn Stars".

God Bless.

"The moon and stars to rule over the night, for his steadfast love endures forever;"
Psalm 136:9 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love to hear thoughts and opinions on things. Please leave a comment. If you have any questions I'll answer those too.